58: Margaret Keller – Superhero Mom Who Provides Capes To Children With CHD.

Margaret started her congenital heart disease journey when her daughter was first diagnosed with CHD. 

Since then she co-founded an organization that delivers superhero capes around the world to children who have CHD.
Plus, she organizes Superhero Heart Runs in cities throughout the United States.
Here are just a few things that Margaret talks about on the podcast.
Margaret talks about when her daughter was first diagnosed with CHD.
She talks about how her daughter had to stay in the hospital for eight weeks after she was born.
She also shares what helped her the most while her daughter was in the hospital.
Moreover, she talks about preparing her daughter for the 2nd heart surgery when she was four years old.
Margaret shares how her daughter's CHD has brought their family closer together. 
Plus, she talks about the non-profit organization, Heart Heros, that she co-founded that sends capes to children around the globe and organizes the Superhero Heart Runs.
Join us as Margaret shares her story.




Superhero Heart Runhttp://www.superheroheartrun.com/

Click The Link Below To Listen To The Walking With Families Podcast on Stitcher!

 Podcast Transcript

Chuck: So today on the podcast, Rita, Kelly, and I are all here, and we have Margaret Keller with us. Margaret is a mom who has a daughter with congenital heart disease. And she's also helped a lot of other families, and raised a lot of money for research for congenital heart disease. So we're going to let her share her story with us today. So, welcome Margaret, how's it's going today?

Margaret: It's going great. Thanks so much for having me.

Chuck: Hey, we're excited you're here with us. So let's just start. When did you first learn about your daughter and congenital heart disease, and that she was going to have it? And let's just start there.

Margaret: All right…at the beginning. Well, we went in for our 20 week ultrasound with our third child fully expecting to just find out if we were going to have a girl. At that time we just had the two boys. And so we were kind of experienced with it. We just went in to hear “10 fingers, 10 toes, and hopefully a girl”, which we heard all of those things. But we also noticed that the technician was taking an extended amount of time to complete the ultrasound, especially in relation to the other two that we had had with our boys. And then when she went and got our doctor, we knew something was going on. And we didn't find anything out for a good six weeks after that.

We had to schedule an appointment for a fetal echocardiogram at Children's Hospital of Omaha. Waiting for that was pretty excruciating - knowing that there was something that they couldn't see in our baby's heart, but not knowing what it was or anything concrete. And when we went in for our fetal echocardiogram was when Lola was diagnosed with trunchus arteriosus. What they explained to us that that meant, was that when her heart was forming, her pulmonary artery and her aorta did not separate from one - what they call a "great truncal valve" - it did not separate into the two distinct arteries that it should have. And so when she was born her blood, instead of going into a pulmonary artery and into her lungs, was just coming right back into her heart and recirculating. And none of the oygenated blood would be pushed to her body.

They explained to us that she would require open-heart surgery pretty quickly after her birth to repair her heart defect. And that we would be in-patient for upwards of one to two months after that. And that was pretty much all we knew until the baby was born. This was in 2007, about 10 years ago. I don't even think I was on Facebook at that time, and we did not have any support at all. We didn't know any other heart families. I had never heard the words "congenital heart defect" or CHD, and certainly never thought about those things in relation to your newborn daughter - or even the one that hasn't even been born yet. When Lola was born, it was just us and family trying to figure things out. We didn't have a heart mom group that we could reach out to or even a group that we knew of in town.

So it was a pretty lonely experience from that perspective. When she was born, her birth was uneventful. We had a lot of support in the hospital. Perionatologist, and neonatologist, and all sorts of “tologist”s that were there to watch her and watch me and make sure that everything was okay. And she was born at the Nebraska Medical Center. After she was born they took her down to their wonderful, amazing NICU. And she stayed there for about a week, until Children's Hospital was able (to take her).  They didn't have any beds open for her at that time. So she was transferred over there in preparation for her surgery. They ended up having to postpone it for a couple different times.

Once when they realized she had a hematoma on her brain, they were trying to let resolve before they put her under anesthesia. And another time right before they were about to go into her surgery, they realized that she had a couple more defects than they had originally realized. How they put it to us was that her defect had a defect. And that was that her aortic arch was interrupted, and so that required additional levels of repair and a different method. So they had to refigure how they were going to approach her surgery and repair that aortic arch as well as the trunchal valve and give her the pulmonary artery and aorta that she needed.

When she did undergo her surgery, she was in for about eight hours, and it was just a family sitting there waiting to hear from the doctors. They gave us periodic updates, and she came through with flying colors. Her repair went great, she looked great, and she didn't have any after effects. We were in the hospital for about eight weeks total, which I thought was way too short of a time and was not ready to leave. But she was doing well enough that we were able to take her home and learn how to have this little baby. There was an open incision. But once we got home we were like a normal family. Her incisions and everything healed very quickly, and we became a normal family of three, with a three-year-old, a two-year-old, and a newborn.

I didn't really have a lot to do with the CHD world until the following year, when I met Sondra Dubas and Katie Burton who were two other heart moms that were involved with an organization that I had gotten connected with in that year following Lola's birth and surgery, called, "Midwest Heart Connections". We became friends as we worked on a committee together for that organization. And shortly following that, Sandra and Katie saw a need for additional support for our heart kids. One thing that they had envisioned was to kind of embolden these children that have to go through these hospital stays, these doctors’ appointments, and pokes and prods, and quite frequent ones for a lot of these kids. (They wanted) to give them something to help protect them and make them feel as brave and strong as they are when they're parents weren't right there at their side, or when they needed some extra support. And they came up with the idea of "The Superhero Kids."

Chuck: Before we jump into the Superhero Kid part, let's talk more about the surgery and your hospital stay. How far away was the hospital from your house?

Margaret: We were extremely fortunate to live in Bellevue, which is a suburb from Omaha. So it's about 30 minutes from our house.

Chuck: So not too far. But you were there for eight weeks, is that what you said total?

Margaret: Yes.

Chuck: So did you primarily stay at the hospital, or did you travel back and forth, or a little bit of both or...

Margaret: It was a little bit of both. I stayed mostly there with the baby, while my husband went back and forth between home and the hospital. And we juggled with our other two boys, having people stay with them or take care of them between our mothers and other family members. And then my grandma also came up any time that we couldn't be there to sit with the baby, so that she wasn't alone.

Kelly: Before we move on to when she gets older, I was wondering (this). We hear this a lot when (folks) find out from the fetal ultrasound or right when they're born that a lot of people have never heard of CHD.  There's no information, and it's just a huge shock and a lot to take in. So in that moment, what things were able to help you - whether that was resources that you were able to reach out to in time, or family support. Just what things were you able to find to help you get through that time? Because I know that's really shocking and overwhelming for a parent.

Margaret: It definitely is, and especially as unexpected as the news always is. You're never ready to hear anything like that. The things that helped us the most was our family, knowing that we had a great support system behind us to take care of our boys while we had to be there for Lola, and finding out as much as we could on our own. I think having more support and having like the groups and the families that have been through this, would have really been a tremendous asset to helping us navigate through this really scary world.

But we kind of made our own way through it, just learning everything that we could about her defect and about how that was going to impact her initially and down the road. That was one of the things that we were very concerned with was her longevity and how that was going to impact her day-to-day life. So we did a lot of research on our own, and had a lot of questions for the doctors. We were able to meet with her surgical team, quite in advance of her birth, which was very, very nice. (We got) to meet the surgeons, the nurses, to see the NICU where they would be taking her and get the feel for how things were going work. Because it was such an unknown situation to us.

Kelly: What kind of things helped you when you were inpatient in the hospital mentally?  I know you said you had a huge family support, which is great. What kind of things mentally helped you, was it like journaling, or some people say chocolate, reading. What kind of things were really helpful for you?

Margaret: I feel like a lot of it is a blur. It seems like I kind of cleared some of those (things) from my mind, some of those memories. But we spent a lot of time pretty meditative, just spending time with Lola, reading, and looking up information. I personally found the hospital experience to be pretty intimidating, between the doctors and the unknown medical stuff that we were just so unprepared for. And so I spent a lot of time really listening and taking notes and trying to learn as much as I could about what they were talking about. And what an effusion was, or at one point they were intubating Lola before her surgery with carbon dioxide. So certain valves in her lungs didn't continue to open as she breathed oxygen. And so we were trying to learn why they were doing these things, and that was one of the biggest things that helped us. And we didn't have quite the resources and support of other families that had gone through it before us.

Chuck: So your overall experience from the hospital, you said it was pretty much overwhelming to you?

Margaret: It was. It was a lot of emotion. It was a very emotional time. And, again, I found it to be very intimidating. Even though the doctors were always very forthcoming with answering our questions and helping us understand what was going on and why.  When they needed to postpone her surgeries, why they felt that proceeding if she had a hematoma would have been a bad move. Is that something that all babies have and they don't realize because they don't give them MRIs, is that just because of birth? They were very, very helpful in answering the questions.  But it was just such an unknown realm, and it was quite scary - just beeping and noises. And that's a lot of what my memories are, of just sitting in the room with lights on constantly, and the noises. Never really fully getting a good night's rest because it was never fully dark, never quiet enough. The baby is making a noise, you're jumping up immediately.

Chuck: So is that the only surgery she's been through, that one heart surgery? Is that the primary surgery she's experienced at this point?

Margaret: Well, she had her initial repair, and when she was four, she had outgrown the conduit that they put in her heart. So she had to have that replaced.  They put in an artificial valve in her heart to make her aorta. And as she grows, she will outgrow it.  And also the longevity of them is maybe 10 to 15 years throughout her life. She will need what they call, "Maintenance surgeries" to replace to repair the valve.

Chuck: So for that surgery, how long was she in the hospital for that one compared to the first?

Margaret: About a week and a half. She was four years old for that surgery. It was actually over Father's Day weekend in 2011.

Chuck: Today how is she doing?

Margaret: She's doing wonderful. She will go back for her yearly cardio checkup, so she has an EKG and an echo. And her last one was wonderful.  The doctors don't report any leakage or abnormal sounds that they don't expect to hear. And the valve, itself, that they replaced is looking good. So she's got a very good prognosis right now.

Chuck: How has this affected her growing up? Have you seen how it's impacted her or how it's affected her?

Margaret: It's definitely been different watching her grow up versus our two little boys. She struggled to walk and had a lot of core strength issues as she was getting older. She didn't walk until she was nearly two years old. And we saw ambulatory services at the Children's Hospital. That provided us with a physical therapist, and then an occupational therapist that came to our house once or twice a week to work directly one-on-one with her and us so we could help her with those strength issues. She had an IDP implemented when she was very young, once we did start seeing the ambulatory services so they could work on her growth and her physical issues that she was trying to work on.

Rita: So she was four, did you say, for the second surgery?

Margaret: Yes, four years old.

Rita: How did you prepare her for that?

Margaret: It was quite different than dealing with a newborn. We had her brothers also. We tried to keep everybody very informed of what was going on. And Lola has had two heart caths, as well, in between her surgeries. She had severe narrowing of her left pulmonary artery. So they had done what was called a Pleural Effusion Scan so they could see what amount of blood was going to each lung.  (This) should typically be about 50%, but in her case 75% was going to one lung and only 25% was going to the other because of that narrowing in her pulmonary artery. So they tried two different times unsuccessfully to stent it, or balloon it open, so it would give more of an equal blood flow. But neither one of those procedures worked. So during her second open heart surgery they also went in and fixed that. Now that being said, we did have some experience with the boys and with Lola being older, being at the hospital and having to have procedures done on her heart. But even for the surgery we took extra steps to prepare everybody for that.

The hospital has a wonderful sibling and surgical program, where they came in with child life specialists and were very, very forthright - but not in a scary way - to talk to them plainly and truthfully about Lola's special heart. And they were going to give her sleep medicine so that they could work on here. And they walked her through the surgery and her brothers, as well. They brought in the masks that they were going to use to administer the anesthesia, and let her choose if she wanted a strawberry or a bubblegum flavored one. That was a major decision. I think they ended up bringing both flavors for her because she just could not make up her mind. And the boys knew which ones they wanted, too.  Even though they didn't need it, they had their flavors too. So we took a tour of the hospital and got to talk through the surgery with them.

We tried to be honest with Lola too, that the doctors are going to help you and they're going to help your heart be stronger. I remember the preparations being a lot more challenging, because you are dealing with somebody who is looking at you and can ask the questions of, "Why is this happening?" The first time we saw her after her surgery was very different as well, because she was awake and she was clamoring for…well, the nurses didn't know what she was asking for. They said, "She keeps asking for something, but we don't know what it is." And so when I got by her bedside, and she looked at me and she said, "I want sparkling water," because we always drink a lot of Pelligrino and Perrier. And the doctors and nurses just about died laughing. They never had heard a four-year-old clamoring for sparkling water immediately post-surgery. And I think that was something that I'll probably never forget.

And we certainly got her that sparkling water as fast as we could.

Rita: Thank you for sharing that.

Margaret: Absolutely.

Chuck: So as far as your sons, how have they responded to their sister having heart surgery, and how this has affected their relationships growing up?

Margaret: Well, I think it's made all of them close, because they are very close in age, first of all. But it's been something that has brought us together. It's not a secret, and it's not a day-to-day conversation, but it is something that we are aware of. And we know that our Lola has a special heart, and that she will always have a special heart. She will always need surgeries and appointments, and it will always be a consideration in her life. And her brothers are very aware of that.  I think that makes them more protective of her. As well as just seeing the things that's she's had to undergo because of it. When we met with Dr. Duncan, who was Lola's surgeon, he told us that he felt we were fortunate to have two other babies already because - especially given their very young ages - we were going to live a more normal life because of that. Whereas if it was our first child, it might be the only thing we knew, and the only thing we were able to focus on. But this, he felt, like gave us the opportunity to raise her as normal a girl as she could be. Push her - not hold her back - and just let her go as far as she can with her CHD, without it impacting her. And I think he was quite right. Within a week of being home from her second surgery we had a backyard with a big upwards hill. And I remember standing at the top of the hill and she shouted, "Mom! Mom! Look at me!"  And she just came tearing down that hill as fast as she ever was. And she had had open heart surgery a week prior to that. She said, "Isn't it amazing?" And it really was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.

Chuck: Wow, that's great. That's a great story. So the organization that you're involved with, do you want to talk about that some and how that came to be? You started sharing a little bit about it at the beginning. So tell us more about that.

Margaret: Well, like I mentioned, I met Sandra and Katie after Lola was born, through Midwest Heart Connections. And they had been tossing around this idea that was there something more that we can do to help the kids, themselves, when they're in the hospital, when their parents aren't right next to them, or when they need to have more blood draws, or an IV, or to be intubated. And that really was kind of where the idea of a Superhero Cape came to be. From something that could wrap these kids and substitute for those parent's arms, that could give them that courage, and really embolden them during all of these things that they have to face on a daily basis. And so the idea of Superheroes came to be through the idea of the cape. And it started officially with our 501 (c) (3) status in 2009, and has really, really grown ever since. I've volunteered with the organization pretty much since its inception from various standpoints - helping with marketing, support, just kind of getting things moving from a small grassroots organization to one that is sending capes out on a daily basis to every state in the country, and overseas, as well. We've had capes shipped to New Zealand, Australia, England, India…all over the world.

And on some weeks we get cape requests on the upwards of 100 or more per day. Some weeks we don't get quite as many.  But it definitely is a constant flow of requests, and of children who need capes, and who need these superpowers. And it's quite illuminating to really see the impact, too - that we've sent thousands and thousands of capes out since 2009, and we'll still get 100 a week or more. Because there's still that many children out there that don't have that support, and need the capes to give them the bravery and strength behind them.

Chuck: How do you keep up with demand for 100 capes a day? How in the world do you fulfill all of these capes?

Margaret: Well, we fulfill the cape requests through the incredible generosity of our donors. And our capes are always free for the heart heroes and their family. When we have had demand that's greater than what we're able to provide at that time, then we do have to go on a waitlist, which is pretty infrequent, however. And during the times when we have a waitlist, we let people know. But if we have somebody with an imminent surgery, or who's getting a transplant that's coming up, then we work to get those capes in their hand before their hospitalization or before they go in.

Chuck: I think it's remarkable, just the logistics behind it and keeping track of all of it. I think is pretty incredible that you're able to do that. And then have all the capes made and sent. Rita gave Thomas a cape when we stopped by the Ronald McDonald House one day to visit. That's how he acquired his superhero cape. We've got pictures of him in it.

Rita: Yes, some of my favorite pictures are of Thomas looking back at me with his cape on. But we have some wonderful volunteers here that do the same, and it really makes such a difference for the children.

Margaret: It truly does, you can see it when they put it on and they puff up their chest, and they get that boost of that superhero energy behind them. And sometimes that is exactly what they need to be able to walk back into the doctor's office, or to get back up into that bed, and it's a really amazing thing to see.

Chuck: So, you've got the demand for the capes and you're trying to fulfill all those, and then the Superhero Heart Run comes along. How did that evolve? What was the inspiration behind it?

Margaret: Really the inspiration for the runs came from seeing the need to establish a way that we can work to grow our organization and fulfill our mission to provide support to these families and these kids while we spread awareness. And that's one of the biggest drives behind what we're doing in all aspects of Heart Heroes is creating the awareness so people understand before they go in. So they know that things like this can happen. So the first time they hear the words, "Congenital Heart Disease," or CHD, isn't when their baby is just freshly born, or when they're at an ultrasound. (It is) so they are aware. And the idea of the run came when we recognized the need for an ongoing event that we could work with other CHD-focused organizations to build partnerships.  And (we want to) really work with these CHD-focused organizations, so that we can build these partnerships and really strengthen what we're doing between our efforts and bring it to that many more people. There's a few other events on a national scale, but nothing with the superhero focus and the relationship that we're building with other CHD organizations like "Mended Little Hearts," "Help-a-Heart," the "PCHA," "Saving Little Hearts," and the "Children's Heart Foundation," and other organizations that we've worked with.

Chuck: So I'm a big fan. I enjoyed the heck out of it a couple weeks ago in Richmond. I thought the whole event was super cool, the way you all are bringing so many heart families together with Mended Little Hearts and some of the other organizations. They have meetings throughout the year, but it's normally 10 to 15 people or so that come. But to have 400 CHD families show up at one time, I don't think I've seen anything quite like it. So I thought it was really cool, so. I just thought the whole event was pretty neat, so I've really enjoyed it. And as far as planning, talk about it. Like how do you plan all of these races all over the country?

Margaret: Well, definitely team work is one of those biggest things that bring these events together. We partner with CHD organizations that have a local presence in communities where Heart Heroes was not. Heart Hero's core mission is to provide the support to the children and families through our Heart Hero cape program. That doesn't bring us into a lot of local communities. We send capes to the families, but we didn't have a lot of residual impact once that was over.  And so we realized that if we can work with organizations that have the local chapters, that have the local families and support, we can engage them and support them to get families the capes and the support that they need and also broaden both of our missions. Our first run was in 2013 in Omaha.  We started working with the Children's Heart Foundation and Mended Little Heart for runs the following year, immediately after that. And the fact that we are able to partner with these local communities, and these local families to bring together not just the heart families but people who've never heard of it that are in the running community, or people that are in the medical community, and really bringing them all together in one place is one of the biggest things that we are trying to achieve as we work with these organizations.

The teams behind it are the “Feet on the Ground”. I work with volunteers from cities across the country in various different areas along their CHD journey. Some that are brand new into it and still learning how to navigate these waters, and some that have been in the CHD world for 10 or 15 years. But they're still recognizing the need to get out there and to increase awareness and spread the word of what we're doing. And it's really because of those teams that we are able to do what we're doing and have them be as successful as they are. We usually start our runs with a six to eight month planning window. So we have a lot of time to really reach out to the medical community and try to flush out various sponsors that are going to help with the event and make it a success. And also to just really get the word out there for registrations and fundraising. Fundraising is a big part of the event, as well as trying to rally together your friends and family to raise money in support of your team or in support of your Heart Hero. And (its fun to) kind of generate some fund competition and friendly competitiveness to see who's going to get the biggest team, or who's going to raise the most money. And it's a lot of fun too. It kind of adds that element that brings people together, and it's also fun and kind of exciting.

Rita: Are you doing the support for all of these events remotely, or are you traveling to help the local organizations?

Margaret: Both. Heart Heroes does what we call the, "Heavy lifting" for the event. So we manage the administrative side of things: booking the venue, insurance, ordering all of the capes, t-shirts, and merchandise, getting stuff shipped to the event, for marketing materials, and registration stuff. And the teams really work on trying to engage businesses and other like family activities, face painters, and the hometown heroes to come out - and just really get people that are there to make it a really cool event. And then either I or one of our Heart Heroes team members will also be at the event to provide “day of” coordination. So we are there to help execute it, from getting everything set up to packing everything up after the race and sending it on to the next city.

Chuck: The first year you did this, how many races did you have?

Margaret: The first year we just had one in Omaha, we're based out of there.

Chuck: And how many years has this gone on?

Margaret: This is our fourth year.

Chuck: And you had how many races this year?

Margaret: We will have eight races this year.

Chuck: Okay, very cool. And your favorite part as the coordinator of all this is?

Margaret: The “day of”, and seeing it all come together. "It" being all of it, all the hard work and efforts of a number of people, many of whom I haven't even met face-to-face until I get at the event. And seeing all of their hard work and efforts really cumulate in a spectacular event that's bringing together all of these families, medical professionals, people who have no idea what CHD is, who are just coming to support their friends or family. And seeing the emotion, seeing the impact, the realization of what CHD is and how far-reaching it is. That's my favorite part. It's absolutely priceless.

Chuck: Yeah it's a really cool event.  I like it a lot. I think my favorite part was just seeing the number of people all at once that were there. As I said before - just that many families all together in one area, even if it's just for a couple hours – (is awesome).  I found the most interesting thing is that I met new people while I was there, but the people I really connected with were the people doing the run and the walk. The people we met, a lot of them were pushing strollers, and they’re there with their kids, a lot of families are walking. And I thought that really gave people the opportunity to really chat and get to know each other and talk about their journeys and stuff. Anyway, I thought the whole event was really cool. I applaud what you are doing. I think it's a really nice event. And on average, how much money does a race raise?

Margaret: A lot of that depends on, of course, on the number of participants we have, sponsorships and teams, and individual fundraising. Our typical goal is $20,000, which would be inclusive of those three components. Now, last year we raised over $200,000 for CHD support, research, and our programs - which we split with our partners. All of that money stays directly in the CHD community, going back to our mission to provide support and increase funding for research and spread awareness.

Chuck: That's awesome, very cool. Very, very cool.

Rita: Did you ever think, however many years ago before your daughter was born, that you'd be doing this type of work?

Margaret: Never in my wildest...I've always loved working on events and I've been very active in the hospitality industry and working in restaurants. That's always been something I've loved. But when the opportunity arose to become a part of this, I really felt like I found my calling and my passion. It's not just a job, it's what I love to do. And I'm incredibly luckily to be able to work on these events and to see the impact that we are having… on families that are just starting out, and don't know where they're going or what their next move is…to families who have 15, 20-year-old Heart Heroes that are starting to learn how to do this on their own as adults. And everybody in between. It's a lifelong journey, and the impact is palpable. It's just been amazing, and I'm extremely fortunate to be able to do what I love.

Rita: That's a great testimony.

Margaret: I did want to mention that we have expanded from the runs from Omaha, which was our first run, to all across the United States. We've partnered in California, Fresno, and San Francisco, down in Houston, Texas, Des Moines in Iowa, Denver, Colorado, all the way over to Richmond, Virginia. We also work with an organization in the Baja Peninsula, in La Paz, called Corazon de Nino. And they are a CHD-focused organization that also puts on a Super Hero Heart Run for their organization down in Mexico every year. That's been a wonderful success, too. And that one we don't partner with them on, but since they're a partner organization, they do the run and everything. But it is a wonderful event down there, as well.  And it has really helped to bring a lot of families from very rural areas that do not have access to doctors or cardiology care in any capacity, to actually finding out what is happening with their child and getting them the care that they need. The Corazon de Nino also they work with Los Cabos Children's Foundation to bring a team of doctors down once or twice a year, and nurses from Children's Hospital in Omaha, to do surgeries free of charge for these families.

Rita: Wonderful.

Chuck: So, advice you would give to families that are starting on this journey would be...?

Margaret: Get as much information as you can to advocate for your child in whatever capacity is at your comfort level. Know that you are the number one person that your child is depending on at that time, and no matter how intimidating or overwhelming that it seems, that you can get through this and that the support is out there. It's a very different community now with the social media and all these different tools that we have to bring us together and to get parents the support and information that they need wherever they're at. Whether it's their first surgery, first hospitalization, going through a cath process, or just needing to find out, "Now, that my daughter's going to college, what does she do for her cardiology?" There's a tremendous amount of support out there, and I think getting involved is one of the best ways parents can get resolution and get answers.

Chuck: So if somebody wants to get in touch with you Margaret, or learn more about your organization, what's the best way for them do to that?

Margaret: They could visit our website at heartheroes.org. And they can definitely reach out to me directly through Facebook or through our Facebook page. We're very, very active. We're always looking for people to join our team in any volunteer capacity. And most of what we do is pretty virtual. I, myself, am in Colorado. So we can accommodate people from anywhere and any walks if they have an interest and a desire to be part of it.

Chuck: Well, I think what you're doing is pretty remarkable. I really enjoyed the Superhero Heart Run. I thought that was such a unique event. The first year that it was done in Richmond, I saw a post on Facebook, and I really didn't see many of the announcements about it prior to the event. And then I saw a bunch of our friends checking in and saying they were at the event, and anyway now we're involved with it for the second year. I just thought it was such a cool thing, just everybody coming together where everybody can see each other all at once. So, I love what you're doing. Congratulations on all your success with it.

Margaret: Well, thank you so much, we really appreciated having you there, and both you and your wife did a wonderful job and brought a lot to our event, as well as just the pleasure of meeting you guys and seeing what a great event it was. It really was. We appreciate the support that we have in Richmond and in all of our cities.

Rita: Just keep it up. I think it's a great opportunity to bring folks together, and I think your number eight of current runs is going to increase dramatically. So keep up the good work.

Margaret: Thank you so much.

Leave A Response

* Denotes Required Field